Reported By Paul McRae
When Artcar Nation recently came across a photo of a crocheted Smart Car (Thanks to Dave Major for the tip), we thought it was a fun piece and we wanted to know more about it. So we started looking around for more information (Thanks to Greg Phelps for helping send us in the right direction) and were surprised by what we found.
Photo by StartTheDay
This crocheted Smart Car artcar was the work of Magda Sayeg, an artist out of Austin Texas, who is considered to be the "Mother of Yarn Bombing." It was part of the Il Lusso Essenziale show she did in Rome in 2010.
In addition to the Smart Car Magda has yarn bombed other moving vehicles in other parts of the world. She yarn bombed a city bus in Mexico City. She yarn bombed a travel trailer in Marfa Texas. She yarn bombed a scooter and side car in Bali. Most recently she yarn bombed a Mini Cooper.
Photo by Cesar Ortega.
Photo by Magda Sayeg
Photo by Caitlin Stevens
Photo by Insight51
Can't wait to see what she yarn bombs next.
Here's an artsy video of the scooter in Bali
Check out Magda's other projects at her website:
(be careful, that home page could give you a seizure)
Oh and before we go, how about this, that Smart Car up there, it's not the only one of it's kind. Some other knitters out in Sonoma California did a yarn bomb on a Smart car last July 4th.
Check it out
Photo by KnitBranch
- Pink Batman Tesla
- Boombox Car for Sale
- Sweeter than Any Chiquita
- Hand Engraved Honda Civic
- Artcars on the Radio
- Help Keep the Jesus Christ Monkey Car Alive
- Sue Shefman and Cheerio Video Interview
- It's Coming! Houston Artcar Parade 2013
- First Hand Woven Car?
- Last Day to Sign Up for Houston Artcar Parade
- Vannadu in Washington Post
- Artcars in Fulshear St. Paddy's Day Parade
- Maria Del Camino, Part El Camino, Part Tank
- All Art Day at Poe Elementry
- ArtCar: The Movie Big Success on PBS Fundraiser
- Artcar: The Movie on PBS
- Bonnie Blue Art of Women
- Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth in CNN Money
- Artcar Free to a Good Home
- Texas Art Asylum A Great resource for Artcar Artists