Reported By Paul McRae
When Artcar Nation recently came across a photo of a crocheted Smart Car (Thanks to Dave Major for the tip), we thought it was a fun piece and we wanted to know more about it. So we started looking around for more information (Thanks to Greg Phelps for helping send us in the right direction) and were surprised by what we found.
Photo by StartTheDay
This crocheted Smart Car artcar was the work of Magda Sayeg, an artist out of Austin Texas, who is considered to be the "Mother of Yarn Bombing." It was part of the Il Lusso Essenziale show she did in Rome in 2010.
In addition to the Smart Car Magda has yarn bombed other moving vehicles in other parts of the world. She yarn bombed a city bus in Mexico City. She yarn bombed a travel trailer in Marfa Texas. She yarn bombed a scooter and side car in Bali. Most recently she yarn bombed a Mini Cooper.
Photo by Cesar Ortega.
Photo by Magda Sayeg
Photo by Caitlin Stevens
Photo by Insight51
Can't wait to see what she yarn bombs next.
Here's an artsy video of the scooter in Bali
Check out Magda's other projects at her website:
(be careful, that home page could give you a seizure)
Oh and before we go, how about this, that Smart Car up there, it's not the only one of it's kind. Some other knitters out in Sonoma California did a yarn bomb on a Smart car last July 4th.
Check it out
Photo by KnitBranch
- Artcars on the Campaign Trail 2016
- Tiles for Smither Park
- Artcar Gatherings Await You This Year
- Book Review: Arthur Zarr's Amazing Artcar
- Heroes Travels to Tupelo for a Heroes Funeral
- Artocade is One Week Away
- Penn Ave. Arts in Motion
- St. Arnold Brewery Unviels Art Car IPA
- The NICNAWAE Scene
- Getting Children Involved in Artcars with Bonnie Blue
- Maiden Joyride in an Artcar
- Houston Artcars, A Long History of Inspiration and Community
- Kristie Odom is a Comic Genius
- Reagan News Network
- Artcars and Lowriders Parade in Victoria TX
- House of Blue Grand Opening
- Sunflowers for Tim
- California Artcars Return to Houston
- 2015 Houston Artcar Parade Winners
- Reggie Bibbs, The Living Embodiment of Grace