Reported By Paul McRae
Kelly Lyles, the impresario of the Seattle Artcar Blowout, sent the picture you see below to her email list with the heading UnPC Feminist Artcar. This prompted a discussion between myself and Lyles whether this car is Feminist or not.
Artcar Nation: What makes this feminist?
Kelly Lyles: Calling herself a cunt? A woman painting vaginas on her vehicle?
ACN: I'm sorry, I was working under notion that feminism was about uplifting women, promoting equality, breaking down boundaries, that sort of thing. I was mistaken it seems. Apparently being vulgar and crude is the new feminism. I've never seen anyone paint their gas spout to look like a pussy before, so there's that I guess.
KL: Yup, to each his own. I'm a prude about such things and even waited a day to decide whether to forward this to my lists. But there's been Dick cars before, so guess it's a case of what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I probably wouldn't borrow it to run errands, though!
ACN: I don't take issue with the car itself. That is to say, I am not offended by it. She can put whatever she wants on her car, more power to her. To call it feminist though, to me that is a stretch. Why do you consider it feminist? I'm really curious about this.
KL: Because it's in your face with no apologies. She's taking charge of her sexuality. That takes a strong woman, whatever we think about the etiquette of it.
ACN: Okay fair enough!
What do you think Artcar Nation? Is this car feminist or something else? Let us know on Facebook.
- Pink Batman Tesla
- Boombox Car for Sale
- Sweeter than Any Chiquita
- Hand Engraved Honda Civic
- Artcars on the Radio
- Help Keep the Jesus Christ Monkey Car Alive
- Sue Shefman and Cheerio Video Interview
- It's Coming! Houston Artcar Parade 2013
- First Hand Woven Car?
- Last Day to Sign Up for Houston Artcar Parade
- Vannadu in Washington Post
- Artcars in Fulshear St. Paddy's Day Parade
- Maria Del Camino, Part El Camino, Part Tank
- All Art Day at Poe Elementry
- ArtCar: The Movie Big Success on PBS Fundraiser
- Artcar: The Movie on PBS
- Bonnie Blue Art of Women
- Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth in CNN Money
- Artcar Free to a Good Home
- Texas Art Asylum A Great resource for Artcar Artists